Monday, September 25, 2023
Anticipating the Last Things - Nathan Rages
In this concluding message in our series from the OT prophet books, we consider the eschatological prophecies in those books. These are prophecies regarding events that will occur at the end of the age, including Jesus' return, the resurrection of the dead, the final judgement, the glorification of the saints, and the destruction of the wicked.
We examine a sampling of 8 eschatological prophecies and trace their parallels to New Testament passages:
1. Great banquet, veil removed, death defeated, and tears wiped away.
Isa. 25:6-9. NT parallels: Rev. 19:9, 1Cor. 13:12, 1Cor. 15:26,53-55, Rev. 21:4, Matt. 5:11-12.
2. Resurrection of the dead. Isa. 26:19 and 1Cor. 15:52.
3. God as light source for a righteous people who possess the land. Isa. 60:20-21 and Rev 21:23,27, Matt. 5:5.
4. Christ executing His wrath. Isa. 63:1-4 and Rev. 19:11-15.
5. Eternal duration of punishment. Isa. 66:24 and Mark 9:47-48.
6. New heavens and new earth. Isa. 65:17 and 2Pet. 3:11-13.
7. Son of Man coming in the clouds to receive an everlasting kingdom. Dan. 7:13-14 and Rev. 1:7, 5:9-10.
8. Great distress, book of life, resurrection of righteous + wicked, and the saints’ permanent glory. Dan. 12:1-4 and Matt. 24:21, Rev. 20:15, John 5:28-29, Matt. 13:43.