Sunday, November 28, 2021
Matt 18:15-17 15 “If your brother sins, go and show him his fault in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother. 16 “But if he does not listen to you, take one or two more with you, so that by the mouth of two or three witnesses every fact may be confirmed. 17 “If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector."
The Process of applying discipline
1. Talk one-on-one. (gently, humbly, Scripturally)
2. Involve one or two others.
3. Tell the church.
4. Remove from fellowship.
Frequently Asked Questions about the process:
1. Must the process always include these four steps?
2. How quickly should we move to the next step?
3. How do we discern true repentance?
4. How should repentant individuals be restored after discipline?
Sunday, November 21, 2021
Matthew 10:8b "Freely you received, freely give." In these few special words the Lord Jesus joins two concepts: (1) Gratitude for all that we've received and (2) Motivation for generosity in ministry to others.
Sunday, November 14, 2021
Question 1: Who administers church discipline?
Answer: All church members are involved, though elders have a major role in some cases.
Scriptures cited: Matthew 18:15, Luke 17:3, Matthew 5:23-24, Romans 15:14, Colossians 3:16, Matthew 7:55, 3John v9-10
Question 2: Who receives church discipline?
Answer: Fellow church members who display (1) heresy, (2) schism, or (3) misconduct. This includes church elders.
Scriptures cited: Romans 16:17, 2John v9-11, Titus 3:10-11, 1Corinthians 5:11, 2Thessalonians 3:6, Proverbs 10:12, Proverbs 19:11, 1Thessalonians 5:14, 1Timothy 5:19-20
Sunday, November 7, 2021
Key Scriptures about church discipline:
Matthew 18:15-20, 1Corinthians 5:1-13, 2Corinthians 2:3-11, Psalms 141:5,
Proverbs 27:5-6, Matthew 3:8, Matthew 5:23-24, Matthew 28:20, Romans 2:23-24, Romans 16:17, Galatians 6:1-2, 1Thessalonians 5:14, 2Thessalonians 3:6,14-15, 1Timothy 1:19-20, 1Timothy 5:19-20, 2Timothy 2:16-18, Titus 1:12-13, Titus 3:9-11, Hebrews 12:11 and 2John v10-11
Reasons WHY we do it:
1. Because Christ commands it.
2. Because His church must be holy.
3. Because sin is infectious.
4. Because discipline deters future sin.
5. Because it benefits the wayward.
6. Because it yields peaceful, loving relationships.