Sunday, November 27, 2022
"...not as Cain, who was of the evil one and slew his brother. And for what reason did he slay him? Because his deeds were evil, and his brother’s were righteous. Do not be surprised, brethren, if the world hates you." 1John 3:11-13
Three aspects of the world's hatred toward believers:
1. The likelihood of this hatred: “do not be surprised.”
2. The cause of this hatred: righteousness.
3. The intensity of this hatred: murder.
Sunday, November 20, 2022
"See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; and such we are. For this reason the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we will be. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is." 1John 3:1-2
This verses verses describe one of the most encouraging truths imaginable, that believers are God's beloved children. Specifically we're taught five things about this wonderful relationship:
1. The start: being born of Him (v29).
2. The proof: righteous behavior (v29).
3. The motivation: God’s great love (v1).
4. The mystery: world not recognizing (v1).
5. The manifestation: future glorification (v2).
Monday, November 14, 2022
Christ's "Appearing" is one of the themes of 1John 2:28-3:3, which we explore with these four questions:
1. General question: What is it?
Acts 1:9-11, Matt. 24:30-31, 25:31-32, 1Thess. 4:16-18, 2Thess. 1:7-10
2. Sobering question: What will you feel when it occurs?
Confidence OR shrinking away in shame (v28).
3. Spectacular question: What will happen to believers at that time?
See Jesus just as He is ⇒ Become like Him (v2).
4. Searching question: What does this motivate you to do now?
Purifying yourself, just as He is pure (v3).
Sunday, November 6, 2022
As the Apostle John warned about the threat of false teaching in 1John 2:18-27, he also described four safeguards given by God for our spiritual protection:
1. Stay with the saints (v19).
2. Continue in Apostolic doctrine (v21,24).
3. Heed the Holy Spirit’s teaching (v20,27).
4. Keep the eternal perspective (v25).