Monday, December 26, 2022
Reason #1 TO TAKE AWAY SIN. 1John 3:5 You know that He appeared in order to take away sins; and in Him there is no sin.
Reason #2 TO DESTROY THE DEVIL'S WORKS. John 3:8 the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil.
Reason #3 TO LIVE THROUGH HIM. 1John 4:9 By this the love of God was manifested in us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might live through Him.
Reason #4 TO BE THE SAVIOR OF THE WORLD. 1John 4:14 We have seen and testify that the Father has sent the Son to be the Savior of the world.
Sunday, December 18, 2022
"The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us" (1John 3:24). "By this we know that we abide in Him and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit" (1John 4:13).
In these two similar verses, the Apostle John teaches that the way we can be sure that we abide in God and His in us, is because He has given us the Holy Spirit.
We believers can be confident that the Spirit indwells us when we observe Him ministering to us in the many ways (here is a list of 16) that the Bible describes Him helping the saints:
1. Convicts us of our sins (John 16:8).
2. Gives us spiritual re-birth (John 3:8, Titus 3:5).
3. Casts out demons (Matt 12:28).
4. Reveals and glorifies Christ (John 15:26,16:14).
5. Assures us of our salvation (Rom 8:15-16, Eph 1:13).
6. Teaches us spiritual truth (John 14:26, 1John 2:27, 1Cor 2:10-12).
7. Sanctifies us (1Pet 1:2, Rom 8:13, Gal 5:22).
8. Distributes and energizes spiritual gifts (1Cor 12).
9. Helps us pray (Rom 8:26-27, Eph 6:18).
10. Helps us worship (Phil 3:3, John 4:23).
11. Guides in our decisions (Rom 8:14, Acts 8:29,13:2,16:6-7).
12. Empowers our evangelism (Acts 1:8, 1Cor 2:4, 1Thess 1:5).
13. Provides the right words to speak (Mark 13:11).
14. Comforts us (Acts 9:31, Rom 5:5).
15. Strengthens our inner person (Eph 3:16).
16. Unites us with other believers (Eph 4:3-4).
APPLICATION: What should we do with this teaching about the Holy Spirit given to us?
1. Thank God for this precious gift.
2. Expand your assurance of salvation.
3. Raise your expectations for your Christian life.
4. Pursue yet more of the Spirit’s help.
Sunday, December 11, 2022
Sunday, December 4, 2022
"We will know by this that we are of the truth, and will assure our heart before Him in whatever our heart condemns us; for God is greater than our heart and knows all things. Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence before God; and whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do the things that are pleasing in His sight." 1John 3:19-22
1. The problem of a condemning heart.
2. Ways to address the problem:
(a) Look for evidence that you truly love the brethren (v19).
(b) Remember that God knows everything about you (v20).
3. Resulting benefits in your prayer life:
(a) Confidence (v21).
(b) Receiving the things you request (v22).