Sunday, March 26, 2023
Revival in the Scriptures:
1. Prayers: Psalm 80:18-19, 85:4-7, Habakkuk 3:2, Ezra 9:8-9, Isaiah 32:14-15, 64:1-8.
Under King Hezekiah (2Chron 29).
Under King Josiah (2Chron 34).
Nineveh’s repentance (Jonah 3:4-9).
John the Baptist’s ministry (Mark 1:4-5).
Pentecost (Acts 2).
Ephesus, under Paul’s preaching (Acts 19:18-20).
Revival in History (a few examples):
Great Awakening (1730s) in Britain and US Colonies.
Second Awakening (1790s-1840s) in US.
Third Awakening / Prayer (1850s-60s) in US and Britain.
Hebrides Islands, Scotland (~1950).
“Distinguishing Marks of a Work of the Spirit of God” (per Jonathan Edwards)
1. Raises esteem for Jesus Christ.
2. Destroys Satan’s kingdom.
3. Increases confidence in the Scriptures.
4. Leads to greater understanding of truth.
5. Causes more love for God and people.
“Things Revival Will Bring” (per Iain Murray)
1. Revival restores faith in the Word of God.
2. Revival restores definiteness to the meaning of the word “Christian”.
3. Revival advances the Gospel with amazing swiftness.
4. Revival always has a moral impact upon communities.
5. Revival changes understanding of the Christian ministry.
6. Revival will change the public worship of churches.
Sunday, March 19, 2023
The language / imagery of God "going before" His people is found in: Exodus 13:21-22, 23:23, 32:34, Deut. 1:30-33, 9:3, 31:3-8, and John 10:2-4. This truth implies five aspects of God:
1. God’s knowledge: He knows everything about our future.
2. God’s plans: He has good plans for all His people.
3. God’s providence: He is arranging all future details.
4. God’s guidance: He shows us where to go.
5. God’s protection: He is defeating our enemies.
Points of application:
1. Rest peacefully in God.
2. Be fully obedient today.
3. Keep your eyes on Jesus.
Sunday, March 12, 2023
In the concluding verses of his letter (1John 5:18-21), the Apostle John shows who is responsible for the safety of our souls:
1. Christ keeps us safe from the Evil One.
v18 "We know that no one who is born of God sins; but He who was born of God keeps him, and the evil one does not touch him." (See also Lk 22:31-32, Jn 6:39,10:27-29,17:11,12,15, Phil 1:6, 1Thess 5:23-24, 2Tim 1:12, 4:18)
2. We must keep ourselves from idolatry.
v21 "Little children, guard yourselves from idols." (See also Mk 12:30, Prov 4:23, 1Tim 5:22, Jas 1:27, Jude 21, 1Joh 2:5,3:33, 2Tim 4:7)
Sunday, March 5, 2023
"This is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests which we have asked from Him. If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask and God will for him give life to those who commit sin not leading to death. There is a sin leading to death; I do not say that he should make request for this. All unrighteousness is sin, and there is a sin not leading to death." 1John 5:14-17
1. Pray confidently.
2. Pray according to God’s will.
(a) Plead Bible promises.
(b) Imitate Bible prayers.
(c) Look for Providence.
(d) Cultivate godly desires.
(e) Follow the Spirit’s guidance.
3. Pray appropriately for sinning brethren.