Sunday, September 26, 2021
Jesus' Costly Expectations for His Followers - Nathan Rages
The Lord Jesus called His followers to "count the cost" of committing their lives to Him, including these five remarkably difficult areas:
1. Dying to yourself. “hate … even his own life … carry his own cross and come after Me” (Luke 14:26-27)
2. Hating your family. “does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters” (Luke 14:26)
3. Giving-up your possessions. “give up all his own possessions.” (Luke 14:33)
4. Enduring persecution. “Blessed are you when men hate you and ostracize you and insult you...” (Luke 6:22)
5. Loving God and people completely. “you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart .… love your neighbor as yourself” (Mark 12:28ff)
Four thoughts of application from this study:
1. The Christian life must be *supernatural*.
2. Rejoice that salvation is by *grace* alone.
3. There’s no room for *self-pity*.
4. It’s still *worth it* to follow Christ!