Sunday, January 29, 2023
How God Preserves His Word - Nathan Rages
The Bible text of 1John 5:7-8 reads very differently in the King James Version compared to most modern translations like the NASB and ESV. This naturally raises questions about why these particular verses were changed so dramatically over the years. Before answering these questions, it's necessary to understand the encouraging process by which God preserved His Word over the centuries and the science of Textual Criticism.
Lessons for us:
1. God has preserved His Word, just as He promised (Is. 40:8, Matt. 5:18).
2. God has done so with counterintuitive wisdom (1Cor. 1:25, Rom. 11:33).
3. Beware of trying to “help God out” with unrighteous means (Rom. 3:8).
4. Beware of placing religious tradition above Scripture (Mark 7:13).
5. Choose your personal Bible translation with care.